After seeing a report on TV about the Japanese way of taking lovely prepared Lunches to school, kindergarten and to work I was super excited.
Since I work since last year in November, I searched for a good and fun way to have lunch as you can’t afford to go to a restaurant every day even though the prices are between 5- 12 Euro for a Lunch including a drink. But whats the alternative? Take a sandwich? Or buy one at a local bakery? Having a Kebab or a Burger? Too boring and not that healthy either.
Taking a Bento with to work was the solution!
But what exactly is a BENTO?? Take a look at this wonderful video, who explains it very well:
I hope you are as excited as I was!! Me and the lovely Mister decided to buy one of the boxes and a few little supplies to get started. You can buy bento boxes and supplies here:
- Casabento http://casabento.com/shop/en/
- JBOX http://www.jbox.com/home
- Laptop Lunches http://www.laptoplunches.com/
- Monbento http://en.monbento.com/?gclid=CJykkYXxyaoCFcwq3wodcn5syg
We got our boxes from Casabento, which we totally love.
To get started you either head over to YouTube and search for videos around Bento making. There are a few! Or you take a look on these links, which really helped me to get inspired. You find cute bento pictures and also recipes, guiding and A LOT OF FUN AND INSPIRATION!! These are only a few sites. You can find lots out there!
- Maboodofu and Kinshinsai at Hano Oto! (shizuokagourmet.wordpress.com)
- Happiness in a box (wabisabistartup.com)
- Bento, Not Teishoku (l2ee2l.wordpress.com)